Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The Dogs

Just in case some of you are wondering here is an update on the dogs. This adventure would not have taken place without our little mutts. Because of them we rent a huge three bedroom, two bathroom house, 6 miles from town. I'm not complaining...just stating a fact. 

Scout and Shelby made the trip here like little troopers. They tolerated 40 hours in the car almost as well as we did. Upon arrival, however, we realized that our dogs are "city dogs." Dogs 
in Ketchikan act strangely human; sitting in bars, waiting outside grocery stores, or walking down the street carefully avoiding traffic without being on a leash! Even poodles have been seen walking past our house unaccompanied. Without giving our dogs too much human emotion, I often wonder if they feel ashamed walking down the street in what we affectionately call their "special vests" or their harnesses. Perhaps this is why they continue to pull so hard. 

Current favorite activities for the "city dogs" consist of laying in front of our floor to ceiling windows, hiking around Ward Lake, eating leftover salmon from the boats, and barking at the 3 times daily motorcycle tour. Cold weather and late sunsets have contributed to Scout's newest behavior, insisting on sleeping under the covers between Mom and Dad. 



As wimpy as they are, they are part of our Alaskan experience and it wouldn't be the same without them. 

1 comment:

uncle D said...

I think that Angie would like to visit you too, I am looking forward to our vivit